Technological advent has provided human society with various wonders that have eased our everyday life. The refrigerator is one such outcome of modern technology that has successfully proved its utility. Gone are those days when melting chocolates and staling leftover foods were a primary concern.
With a refrigerator at our aid, we can now get instant cold water on hot summer afternoons or even preserve our favorite chocolates for days. Due to their massive benefits, refrigerators have become an integral and indispensable part of our home.
The refrigerators come in various sizes, colors, capacities, and technology. Of all the types, direct cool refrigerators are a common and conventional type usually seen in the market.
What is a direct cool refrigerator?
A direct cool refrigerator is an appliance that uses the conventional natural process of air circulation. This cooling method results in uneven circulation of cool air inside the fridge. It leaves zero space for you to control the temperature inside the refrigerator.
We all have childhood memories of pulling out ice from the freezers; this is the direct cool technology. In the direct cool refrigerator, frost is formed from the water vapour present inside the fridge.
A direct cool refrigerator requires manual defrosting to control the frost formation. This type of refrigerator is usually manufactured in single-door forms and is an ideal option for small families.
Advantages of the direct cool refrigerator
Direct cool refrigerators offer various benefits that account for their huge demand in the market. Some of the benefits of direct cool refrigerators are listed below:
- One of the significant benefits of direct cool refrigerators is their energy-efficient nature. Since these refrigerators involve direct cool technology, they consume less energy, thus enabling you to save some extra bucks on a long electricity bill.
- Since direct cool uses the conventional air cooling method, it involves a simple working mechanism. The simple mechanism accounts for the pocket-friendly price range of the direct cool refrigerators.
- The direct cool refrigerator offers sufficient storage space, with several compartments, thus letting you store all your food items without worrying about space constraints.
- The direct cool refrigerators come with a simple and sleek build, making them an apt choice for small families or those living in apartments.
- This type of refrigerator requires less maintenance, ensuring you do not have to spend any extra amount on its repair.
Disadvantages of the direct cool refrigerator
Though direct cool refrigerators have several benefits, the appliance also has certain drawbacks.
- One of the significant disadvantages of direct cool refrigerators is their manual defrosting system. Since this refrigerator uses direct cool technology for cooling, it does not involve any button or switch for defrosting. You will have to defrost the fridge regularly to keep it frost-free manually.
- The direct cool refrigerators are compact in build, making them an unsuitable option for large families.
- Another disadvantage of the direct cool refrigerator is its limited options availability. Direct cool refrigerators are available only as single-door refrigerators.
Energy efficiency of the direct cool refrigerator
Compared to conventional refrigerators, direct cool refrigerators are highly energy efficient. This type of refrigerator uses natural air circulation for its cooling process and does feature any internal mechanism for defrosting.
On average, the direct cool refrigerator consumes 1.25 units of energy. Due to their high energy efficiency, direct cool refrigerators boast a high BEE energy rating.
Durability of the direct cool refrigerator
When it comes to purchasing an electric appliance, one of the major concerns is its durability. It applies to direct cool refrigerators as well. If the fridge is not correctly defrosted, the freezer door gets jammed.
This refrigerator usually has a single door with no defrost controls, thus requiring a manual time consuming defrosting system. A significant downside of the direct cool refrigerator is its uneven cooling. This type of refrigerator might not be a great choice if you want a fridge that will last you long.
Maintenance of direct cool refrigerator
A direct cool refrigerator features an uneven cooling system since it uses the conventional air circulation mechanism. It does not have an internal heating system, because of which rapid ice buildup occurs inside the fridge.
To keep the fridge frost-free, you must carry out regular manual defrosting of the direct cool refrigerator, which is time-consuming. As frost formation occurs quickly, you must shut down the appliance until the ice melts completely.
You must also clean the fridge’s interior to remove the leftover ice. Simply put, direct cool refrigerators require regular maintenance to keep them functional and prevent ice buildup.
Cost Considerations of the direct cool refrigerator
The direct cool refrigerators use a simple technology for its appropriate functioning. It usually uses the conventional cooling method. Moreover, it consumes fewer amps of electricity since it does not have an internal heating system or external fan.
Due to simple technology and parts, direct cool refrigerators come with an affordable price tag. Usually, the price of direct cool refrigerators ranges between Rs 4500 to Rs 55 thousand.
In the arena of electrical home appliances, a refrigerator is a must-have item. Direct cool refrigerators are one of the common choices in the section of refrigerators. This type of refrigerator works on the conventional process of direct cooling technology, resulting in uneven air distribution.
Due to this mechanism, there is an excess ice formation in the fridge. The direct cool refrigerators do not feature any external fan for air circulation or internal heating system, thus requiring manual defrosting.
While direct cool refrigerators come with several benefits, it also features certain drawbacks, the major of which is their manual defrosting system. You need to keep up with its regular maintenance regarding direct cool refrigerators. The rapid ice formation can jam the freezer door, thus requiring regular maintenance. In terms of energy efficiency, the direct cool refrigerator boasts a high point since it consumes fewer amps of electricity.