Water is an essential life component that assures the sustenance of life. However, over time, the availability of clean water has become a challenging task. Boiling water to remove the impurities is a time-taking and tedious task.
Therefore, we now have water purifiers at our aid for our ease. The water purifiers effectively remove harmful elements from the water, offering clean and purified water for human consumption.
To ensure that you get the apt water purifiers that meet all your purification needs, it is crucial to have a brief idea of its various types. This article briefly talks about the different types of water purifiers and their pros and cons.
Types of water purifiers
The RO water purifier works on the reverse osmosis principle that uses the membrane technology mechanism. In the RO water purifiers, the water is pushed through an in-built pump with high pressure into the RO chamber.
This RO chamber is equipped with a semipermeable membrane with micropores. When the water passes through this membrane, dissolved solids such as sulfates, arsenic, lead, fluoride, and chlorine get trapped in the pores.
Along with the dissolved solids, various other elements, such as dust, fine dirt, bacteria, etc., get collected in the membrane, thus purifying the water. The RO Water purifiers are equipped with several filters, such as sediment filters and activated carbon filters, which result in effective water purification.
The sediment filters effectively suspend all impurities from the water. At the same time, the activated carbon filter removes foul odours and chlorine and absorbs pigments, improving the taste of the purified water.
Advantages of RO Water purifier
- The RO water purifiers improve the taste and odour of the water
- The RO water purifiers effectively remove all dissolved solids, metal particles, and harmful microorganisms. The dead germs are flushed out of the water, offering clean and purified water.
Cons of RO Water purifier
- The RO water purifier needs a constant electricity supply for its functioning.
- The RO Water purifier results in a significant amount of water wastage.
UV water purifiers embody the ultraviolet purification method. This type of water purifier is equipped with an ultraviolet lamp that effectively eliminates viruses and bacteria. Ultraviolet purification technology is one of the full-proof mechanisms of removing disease-causing microorganisms.
The process of ultraviolet purification is an environment-friendly process since it does not involve the use of any chemicals for purification. The stored water passes through the UV lamp, which kills all germs and bacteria. This type of water purifier is suitable for low TDS water such as river or lake water.
Pros of UV Water purifier
- The purification rate of the UV water purifiers is very high. It can efficiently purify up to four liters of water in one minute.
- It requires minimal manual cleaning.
- The UV water purifiers do not remove valuable minerals from the purified water
Cons of UV Water purifier
- The UV Water purifier is ineffective in removing mud, sand, and other organic undissolved solids from the water. It is also not effective in treating hard water.
- Though the UV Water purifier kills germs, bacteria, viruses, and other harmful microorganisms, their dead bodies remain in the purified water.
As the name suggests, this type of water purifier uses the principle of gravity for its mechanism. In this type of water purifier, the water flows from a top container to a lower one. The top container stores input water, while the lower containers collect the purified water.
This water purifier uses ultra-filtration and activated carbon filters for its filtration process. The top portion of the gravity water purifier is provided with a fiber mesh that collects impurities, pesticides, and parasites present in the water.
Pros of gravity water purifier
- This type of water purifier does not require electricity for its functioning
Cons of gravity water purifier
- It is not effective in treating water with high TDS
A water purifier has ceased as a luxury product and is now necessary. Consumption of safe and purified water is essential for maintaining one’s health. Several types are available in the market with the growing importance of water purifiers, such as RO, UV, and gravity water purifiers. While the UV and RO water purifiers require electricity for their functioning, the gravity water purifier is a non-electric type. Each type of water purifier has its advantages and disadvantages. Therefore you must wisely choose the type that meets all your purification requirements.