One of the latest additions in the arena of kitchen appliances is microwave ovens. This kitchen appliance has now become a crucial part of every household. Apart from cooking, microwave ovens facilitate grilling, reheating, defrosting, and baking foods.
Microwave ovens are available in various types. Getting a microwave oven is a long-term decision, so it is imperative to have a brief idea of its different types. This article briefly discusses the various microwave ovens and their pros and cons.
Different Types of Microwave Oven
Below are the different types of microwave oven based on their function.
Solo Microwave Oven
The solo microwave oven is an entry-level model that facilitates simple cooking. This microwave oven serves two primary functions: reheating and cooking simple recipes. While some solo microwave models feature the traditional knob mechanisms, some new models come with digital control panels.
The digital control panels let you operate the microwave oven with a simple touch. The primary key element of this microwave is a cavity magnetron. The lower portion of the magnetron is equipped with a huge magnet that results in circulating electrons from the cathode to the anode.
These electrons, when passed over cavity magnetron, result in the creation of electric waves. This electric wave then spreads to the entire interior of the appliance through a waveguide.
Pros of solo microwave ovens
- The solo microwave is helpful for specific daily necessities such as reheating, defrosting, and cooking simple meals
- One of the significant advantages of solo microwaves is their affordable price range
- It is equipped with a programmable timer that offers hassle-free operation
Cons of solo microwave ovens
- The solo microwaves offer limited cooking options. Baking and roasting cannot be done in a solo microwave.
Grill Microwave Oven
The grill microwave oven functions similarly to a regular microwave oven. They come with various additional grilling accessories. The grill microwave ovens are ideal for grilling vegetables, meat, or paneers.
The grill microwave ovens have specific heating coils that facilitate grilling, toasting, and roasting. Along with grilling, this microwave oven offers the essential functions of reheating and defrosting. You can use metallic, glass, and ceramic utensils in a grill microwave without worrying about breakage.
Pros of grill microwave ovens
- The grill microwave oven facilitates the preparation of exotic dishes such as grilled chicken or vegetables, pizzas, etc.
Cons of grill microwave ovens
- The grill microwave ovens come with a costly price tag
Convection Microwave Oven
The convection microwave is the most advanced microwave oven than others. A convection microwave oven is an appliance that lets you bake, grill, roast, reheat, defrost and cook foods with ease.
Hot air circulation is much faster in the convection microwave, which results in even heat distribution. It is the reason that the food prepared in a convection microwave is of high quality and evenly cooked.
Pros of convection microwave oven
- One of the most significant benefits of the convection microwave oven is its multifunctional nature. This microwave oven combines the mechanism of baking, grilling, and essential microwave functions.
- The convection microwave oven has several safety measures that assure the safety of both the user and the appliance.
- The convection microwave oven has a greater capacity to cook multiple recipes simultaneously.
- The convection microwave ovens offer shorter cooking time
Cons of convection microwave oven
- The convection microwave oven is not suitable for light baking.
- This type of microwave oven requires regular cleaning since the oven cavity gets blocked with oils and grease quickly.
A microwave oven is a handy appliance that has upgraded our cooking experience. The microwave oven has three types: grill, convection, and solo microwave. Each microwave oven type comes with its pros and cons. Therefore you must wisely use your discretion while buying one.