OTG vs Microwave: If you are landed to this article most probably you are looking to buy an oven for your house but confused which one to choose? Or you may have some question in your mind like- What is the difference between OTG and Microwave? Which one is better for your cooking needs?
That is why we created this blog post, where we’ll discuss the features of both appliances so that you can make a more informed decision about which one is best for your needs. Because it can be hard to choose when you don’t know what each appliance offers.
What is an OTG Oven?
An OTG oven has a built-in oven toaster and griller, and it is a single appliance that does the job of three appliances.
It uses a heated coil and toasting technology so that it can cook your food evenly. You can also use it to reheat, barbeque, keep food warm, bake and grill foods with higher fat content, such as chicken or cheese.
Features of an OTG Oven
- It comes with an accessory kit that includes a baking tray, wire rack, and crumb tray
- There is a cool wall feature that prevents the exterior from getting too hot
- The oven has an automatic shut off so that if it’s left on for too long, it will turn
- You can make in the OTG oven: cakes, pastries, pizzas, tandoori items, etc.
- You can also use the rotisserie function in the OTG oven to make grilled foods.
- Metal utensils safe
- You can bake, toast, and grill
- Perfect for baking and barbecue
- Takes more time to heat
- Don’t auto cook menu
- Not for all types of cooking
What is Microwave Oven?
A microwave oven is a kitchen appliance that uses microwave technology to cook and warm up food. It cooks your food using high-frequency waves and produces rapid, dense heat through an electromagnetic field inside the oven.
Features of Microwave
- Smart display with pre-set menus
- Child safety lock
- Auto defrost for frozen food
- Weight and time defrost for different items
- Clock with a timer that you can set to delay the start
- Can make in the microwave oven: popcorn, vegetables, pizzas, pasta, etc.
- Gives uniform heating
- Easy to use
- Reheat and defrost features
- Heavy in weight
- Utensils restriction in different mode
Technology of OTG vs Microwave
The technology of the OTG oven is older than a microwave. OTG ovens use a heating coil for cooking the food, while microwaves use high-frequency waves. So, if you’re looking for an appliance with more traditional cooking methods, then the OTG oven would be the better option. However, if you want something faster and easier to use, the microwave oven would be better.
OTG oven uses nickel/chromium coils that heat up, and a fan circulates the heat evenly within the compartment to cook the food from all sides. It is a slow cooking process and takes about 30 minutes to cook something two inches thick.
Microwave ovens use the electromagnetic wave that passes through the food to heat it. It heats the water and other molecules in the food, which causes them to vibrate rapidly. It produces thermal energy that cooks the food. Microwaves cook faster than OTG ovens, about five minutes for something two inches thick, but some belief microwaving destroys more nutrients than baking or frying.
Cooking Time of OTG vs Microwave
OTG ovens take about 30 minutes to cook something two inches thick. Microwaves cook faster than OTG ovens, about five minutes for two inches thick. Microwave has an auto-cook menu for potato, chicken, fish, omelet, etc.
Baking Time of OTG vs Microwave
Baking time will be the same for OTG ovens or microwaves, and both heat food by putting it in a closed space over time. The OTG and microwave do this differently but ultimately result in an even distribution of temperature inside the cooking container to cook your ingredients evenly from all sides.
The Temperature of OTG vs Microwave
A thermostat regulates the temperature of the OTG oven to ensure that the food does not get too hot or too cold. However, microwaves do not have a thermostat and can sometimes produce uneven heat levels, which can cause the food to burn or not cook properly.
Ease of Use of OTG vs Microwave
OTG ovens are generally easier to use than microwaves, and they don’t have any complicated buttons or settings, and most models come with a pre-heat function. However, microwaves have some auto-cook menu for food items like potato, chicken, fish, omelet, etc.
OTG vs Microwave Oven
|OTG Oven||Microwave Oven|
|Perform three functions – Oven, toasting, and grilling||Heat the food at different temperature levels|
|Consumes low power||Consumes high power|
|Preheat time is 15 minutes||Preheat time is 5 minutes|
|Support capacity up to 60L||Support capacity up to 42L|
|Light in weight||Heavy in weight|
|Excellent in baking like professionals||Average baking suitable for beginners|
|You can use metal utensils in an OTG||Does not use metal utensils in a microwave|
|Don’t have auto cooking mode||Different auto cooking mode is available|
|Take more time to cook food||Take less time to cook food than OTG|
|Less expensive||More expensive than OTG|
When to choose OTG Oven?
- If you are cooking for a large family: an otg oven can cook more than one dish simultaneously, while microwaves are limited to just one or two dishes.
- If you have children: otg ovens come with child locks which prevent curious little hands from opening the door and getting injured.
- If you want to cook a lot of food at once: otg ovens can hold more than microwaves.
- If you want to cook food with a crispy crust: otg ovens can do this, whereas microwaves usually cannot.
- If you want to start a bakery business: an otg oven is the best choice
When to choose a Microwave Oven?
- If you want to reheat food: otg ovens can heat food, but reheat is better in a microwave. Reheating food with an otg oven will not give it the same consistency as if you had just cooked that food freshly on its own or even using another otg option like toaster oven roasters.
- When you want to save energy: otg ovens take a long time to heat up and cool down, so you have to wait a long time before heating again, but microwave ovens can heat food in about 60 seconds and cool down in just 3 minutes.
- The microwave oven is a safe, convenient, and efficient way to cook and reheat food.
- Can be used to prepare both quick and long meals.
- Has the advantage of being easy to use and clean.
- It is ideal for cooking food for one or two people.
- The microwave oven can do all your cooking jobs. Your microwave oven is perfect for cooking various food, from frozen dinners to meals made from scratch.
- Auto-cook and other cooking modes help you prepare meals quickly.
Our Top Picks of OTG Oven
Below are our top 3 picks of the OTG Ovens in India
Philips HD6976/00 Digital Oven Toaster Grill
Bajaj 1603T 16L Oven Toaster Grill
Morphy Richards RCSS- 60 OTG
Our top Picks of Microwave Oven
Below are our top 3 picks of the Microwave oven
Samsung 28 L CE1041DSB2/TL Convection Microwave Oven
IFB 30L 30BRC2 Convection Microwave Oven
LG 28 L Charcoal MJ2886BWUM Convection Microwave Oven
If you’re looking for something more than just reheating leftovers, then OTG might be what you’ve been waiting for! Microwaves are good at cooking things quickly but not always evenly as an OTG does, so they may not be as healthy as they seem. Which do you think is better?