Are you looking for a guide on selecting the right mattress for your home?
If yes, then you are at the right place.
A right mattress is essential for proper sleeping. A good night’s rest is vital to your physical and mental health.
Buying a new mattress in India isn’t easy, and it’s overwhelming to think about the countless options available and the many variations to choose from.
Here’s an ultimate mattress buying guide in India to help you pick the best mattress to fit your needs.
Table of Contents
Things to Consider Before Buying a Mattress
Before buying a mattress, below are the things that you need to consider:
Single Size Mattress: Single size mattresses are usually between 72 x 36 inches to 75 x 36 inches. These mattresses are best suitable for kids and children but are slightly cramped for adults.
Double size mattress: Double size mattresses range from 72 x 48 to 75 x 60 inches. These mattresses are best suitable for adults. However, these mattresses do not fit two adults.
King size mattress: King size mattresses range between 72 x 72 to 78 x 72 inches. These kinds of mattresses are best suitable for both children and couples.
Queen size mattress: Queen size mattresses are usually between 72 x 60 to 78 x 60 inches in size. These mattresses are best suitable for couples.
Coir mattress: Coir is an Indian innovation that is only available in India. Coir mattresses are made of coconut coir, which makes them very eco-friendly. However, they are economical and very firm.
- It is made of coconut coir and a bouncy latex solution.
- It is very economical.
- There is no dust trapping.
- Since its base is very firm, it causes more pain and discomfort.
- It provides short-term durability.
- Since there is no motion transfer, your sleep as well will be disturbed if your partner moves.
Spring mattress: A spring mattress is made of springs and filled with coils. The spring mattress is bedding that provides support and comfort for sleep. Spring beds are popular due to their bouncy nature, but motion transfer is a problem with excessive bounciness.
- It is breathable and comfortable.
- It provides medium comfort for those having back pain.
- It is slightly expensive.
- It does not have motion transfer, which might disturb the partner’s sleep.
- It has medium durability.
Foam mattress: A foam mattress relies on trapped air within aerated substances rather than springs to provide support and bounce.
- This mattress is suitable for those having back pain.
- It comes with long-term durability.
- There is no motion transfer, which means the partner can sleep peacefully.
- It comes at an expensive price tag.
Latex mattress: A latex mattress is like a fancy sleeping surface for those who appreciate springs or reflex foam. It’s supportive and durable but also super comfy!
- It is 100% natural and biodegradable
- It is soft and bouncy, hence is highly comfortable
- It is highly durable
- It comes with a medium firmness
- It improves blood circulation
- For anyone sleeping in different sleeping positions, this is the best choice.
- When two people sleep at a time, the mattress compresses.
- It comes with closed-cell foams, and it produces a lot of heat when sleeping.
Memory foam mattress: A memory foam mattress is the right choice for people who want the benefits of both memory foam and traditional mattresses. A layer of memory foam mattress conforms to your body’s shape, while a support foam layer provides extra cushioning and stability. Memory foam mattresses are best known for their comfort and support, and they can last for many years.
- It is soft and comfortable
- It is suitable for spinal alignment
- It is highly durable
- Retains back to the shape quickly
- No disturbance for the sleeping partners
- Uses body heat for softening
- The mattress is not hypoallergenic
- It is not waterproof
Orthopedic mattress: Orthopedic mattresses are designed to provide support for the joints, making them a good choice for those who sleep with pain, are inactive in recovery from an injury, are seniors, or participate in athletics or other strenuous activities.
- It provides excellent support for spine alignment
- It relieves pressure from joints and other pressure points
- It is costly
- Side: Side sleepers need a softer surface to rest, and extra cushioning for hips and shoulders is required.
- Back: Even back sleepers need a softer cushion for the shoulders and hips. And the mattress surface should be made of a soft material.
- Stomach: Stomach sleepers require a firmer mattress to align their spine and prevent neck pain properly.
Bodyweight impacts the mattress, which in turn shows an impact on the sleep quality. If you are a heavy-weight person, buying a firm and thick mattress of at least 6 inches is recommended, which helps distribute your weight evenly.
In short, a person’s weight must be less than the capacity a mattress can hold. Only then you can have a sound sleep. If you are an overweight person, buying two firm mattresses instead of one is recommended.
A mattress comes with two layers: A support layer and a comfort layer. The Comfort layer is the cushion that is placed above the support layer. And the support layer forms the base of the mattress.
Some common types of support layers are:
- Coir: It has good ventilation and keeps the body cool
- Bonnell Springs: Weight is uniformly distributed, and the motion transfer is reduced in this type of mattress.
- PU foam: This is an economical mattress. It is foldable as well as cushioned.
- Pocket springs: Pocket spring mattresses are the best for a luxurious feel. The coils work independently and give you a comfortable sleep.
People often prefer different levels of firmness when it comes to mattresses. The best way to understand if the mattress is firm or soft is by checking it. It’s essential to check the quality of the mattress before buying it, especially if you have a specific sleeping style in mind.
When considering a new mattress, it is essential to check the warranty. A defective or unsuitable mattress can be a costly mistake, so you want to be sure that you are covered in case of any problems. Most mattress companies offer a 10-year full replacement warranty to be sure you’re getting a quality product.
Instead of picking a mattress from a local brand, it is recommended to buy the mattress from reputed brands like Sleepwell, Kurlon, CoirFit, etc. Reputed brands provide a quality mattress that lasts long and has a good warranty duration.
Now that you know what kind of mattress best suits you. You can also consult a health professional to understand the type of mattress you need to buy, as the product varies from brand to brand.